Reports to: Building Principal, Assistant Principal, Assigned Special Education Teacher
Work Day: 175 work-day calendar, 6.75 hrs/day
Hours: 8:10 a.m.-3:20 p.m. (Elementary) and 7:50 a.m.-3:00 p.m. (Secondary); M-F
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Experience working in a curriculum support capacity with students of various ages
- Successful experience working with special education students
- Basic computer skills preferred
Purpose and Objectives of the Position:
The Special Education Paraprofessional provides supportive education and maintenance assistance for the teacher of special education or general education students. The paraprofessional should possess a basic understanding of the characteristics of students and must possess the ability to work with students in a one on one setting and in small and large group settings.
NOTE: For certain student populations, position may require specialized training (severely intellectually disabled/profoundly intellectually disabled, autism); the ability to lift and physically manage students who may weigh over 50 pounds; the use of specialized equipment; the ability to assist with or perform personal activities such as feeding, toileting and diapering; or other special abilities. If necessary, these will be discussed in the interview.
- Provide educational, social, communicative support to students with autism in resource and inclusive environments
- Follow teamed prescribed procedures, academic, social, communication and behavioral interventions plans
- Communicate and work collaboratively with general education teachers, administrators and other special education service providers/consultants
- Implement a specialized curriculum
- Teaching self-responsibility
- Demonstrate strict standards of confidentiality
- Demonstrate punctuality and dependability
- Support students in all school environments, including community-based training
- Share in recordkeeping duties, including progress monitoring, as assigned by professional staff
- Seek assistance from other team members as needed to facilitate student progress
- Organize and prepare materials
- Demonstrate problem solving skills
- Participate in Emergency Safety Intervention (ESI) and Behavior Management Training
- Participate in professional development and training as required
- Demonstrate attitude that promotes a positive school environment
- Take responsibility for the quality of own work
- Share in school wide duties as assigned and which do not conflict with student time
- Provide short-term coverage for professional and paraprofessional peers
- Travel to/from schools as required by the job
- Other duties as assigned
Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions:
- Requires stooping, bending, kneeling, turning, and reaching.
- Requires prolonged sitting or standing.
- Must occasionally work in noisy and crowded environments, with numerous interruptions.
- Ability to prepare for classroom activities under the supervision of a licensed teacher.
- Ability to work with small groups of students to reinforce material initially introduced by the teacher.
- Ability to assist individual children in need of special attention.
- Ability to perform clerical duties as required.
- Ability to guide independent study, enrichment work, and remedial work set up by the teacher.
- Ability to assist teacher with non-instructional classroom duties, such as snack, toilet, and clothing routines.
- Ability to assist with reading and storytelling.
- Ability to assist in drill work.
- Ability to observe and follow all school district policies at all times.
- Ability to respond to information requests in a cooperative, courteous, and timely manner.
- Ability to keep student and personnel information and records confidential.
- Ability to implement and follow all district health and safety policies, including all precautions of the Bloodborne Pathogens Exposure Control Plan.
- Ability to perform other tasks and assume other responsibilities as directed by the principal or teacher.
Pre-Employment/Yearly Requirements: Employee shall meet all the pre-employment and yearly requirements as specified in the Policies of the Board of Education.
Term of Employment: At will.
Salary: $10.25/hr, with increases for experience and education
FLSA Status: Non - Exempt; Hourly
Evaluation: Performance effectiveness will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of Board of Education Policy.