TEACHER OF THE DEAF (RELOCATE TO TENNESSEE)
Shelby County Schools
If you're willing to relocate to Memphis, Tennessee, Shelby County Schools is accepting applications for the 2017-18 school year for teachers for students who are deaf or hard of hearing. Complete your online application now in order to be considered for any open opportunities that best meet your interests and qualifications!
We encourage you to apply by our application deadline on December 18, 2017.
SCS is dedicated to preparing all students for success in learning, leadership and life.
• Our promise is that by 2025, 80% of our students will be college & career ready, 90% will graduate high school, and 100% of graduates will enroll in post-secondary education.
• Our work is deeply rooted in the belief that every child is capable of learning and that education is the great equalizer.
• With 84% of all students considered economically disadvantaged, Shelby County Schools truly is a place where progressive leaders in education can make a difference in the lives of our country’s most underserved children.
Though our challenges are significant, we are a district on the rise.
• Our district-wide Math proficiency scores have doubled in the past three years.
• Our iZone schools—once performing in the bottom 5 percent of TN schools—are outpacing the state’s Achievement School District and making significant gains towards the goal of reaching the top 25 percent within five years.
Shelby County Schools—one of the 25 largest school districts in the nation—is located in Memphis, TN. We’re known for our great food, original music, professional sports and high-quality arts in the most affordable urban setting in the nation. Not only that, but Memphis is a hotbed and national leader for groundbreaking work in public education.
Compensation & Benefits
Teacher salaries start at $43,000. A comprehensive benefits package is also offered that includes health, dental, vision, and flexible spending account options.
Bachelor's Degree in Education or closely related field from an accredited institution, with specialization in Deaf Education; specialization/endorsement in other content areas may also be required.
Must hold or be eligible for a Tennessee teacher license with an endorsement in Special Education Hearing PreK-12 (code 463), or comparable endorsement.
No experience requirement.
Proficient sign language skills.
Be eligible to work in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge of and ability to follow mandated compliance standards established by District, State, or Federal regulations.
Knowledge of and ability to apply current standards-based educational practices associated with students who are Deaf/hard-of-hearing.
Knowledge of Deaf culture, the local Deaf community, and local resources available for the Deaf community.
Ability to communicate effectively with Deaf/hard-of-hearing children.
Ability to respond effectively and positively to feedback.
Ability to participate effectively in team setting to plan curriculum, prepare lessons, modify instructional material according to the individual needs of the student.
Strong interpersonal skills.
Visit www.choosescs.org to submit an instructional application.
An offer of employment will be subject to the successful completion of a background check. At Shelby County Schools, we know that diversity makes us stronger and challenges us to think differently every day. We are an equal opportunity employer and seek individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply to this position. Shelby County Schools offers educational and employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, creed, age, disability, national origin, or genetic information.
Website: www.choosescs.org | www.scsk12.org
For questions, visit http://www.scsk12.org/askhr/