CHANDLER UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 80
JOB TITLE: MEDIA SPECIALIST (ELEMENTARY)
REPORTS TO: SCHOOL PRINCPAL
CALENDAR: TEACHER CALENDAR
RANGE: TEACHER SALARY SCHEDULE
To foster and enhance the development of student literacy through the administration of the library media program.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education
- AZ Teaching Certificate
- Media Specialist and/or Reading Specialist Endorsement
- AZ IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card
Core Job Functions
- Develop a thorough knowledge of subject area and grade level curricula, and promote competency in information literacy across the curriculum
- Collaborate with teachers and staff to integrate information literacy competencies throughout the teaching and learning process
- Design and implement teaching and learning activities, both individually and in collaboration with teachers and staff, that reflect the best in current research and practice
- Partner with teachers, administrators, and others to ensure that the full range of information resources is available to promote student learning
- Evaluate, acquire, provide and promote information resources to meet the learning needs of all learners
- Provide reading intervention for at risk students
- Support all CUSD approved Tier 3 instructional programs
- Model the effective and enthusiastic use of books, videos, multimedia, and other creative expressions of information as a sources of pleasure and information
- Design, develop, and implement programs that encourage reading for enjoyment and for information
- Recommend, create, implement, and evaluate resources and activities in various formats to meet students’ learning needs
- Oversee all aspects of the daily operation of the library media program
- Maintain library culture that encourages appreciation of literature
- Provide for the organization, circulation and maintenance of library resource materials
- Encourage flexible access to the programs and services of the library media program
- Schedule the library media facilities for instruction and supervising student use
- Utilize the District’s library management system to access educational resources for students and staff
- Build and maintain expertise in a wide range of resources and technology
- Maintain a collection that is diverse in format and content to support the learning needs of students
- Monitor and supervise technical and clerical staff to facilitate smooth operation of the program, if applicable
- Maintain a current and meaningful school library webpage for students, staff, and parents
- Participate on assessment teams and analyze data for decision making
- Collaborate with department, grade-level, school and district on curriculum development and assessment projects
- Model and promote effective uses of technology for teaching and learning
- Guide students and staff in the use of technology products and processes
- Instruct staff on copyright policies and procedures
- Participate on school-based and district-based technology committees, as assigned
- Coordinate state assessments with administrators and cadre representatives as needed
- Initiate collaboration with administrators to develop the mission, goals, and objectives of the library media program
- Communicate regularly with administrators about program plans, activities and accomplishments
- Perform all other duties as assigned by administrator
Positions in this classification typically require: stooping, kneeling, crouching, fingering, standing, walking, pushing, reaching, lifting, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motions. Employees may be subject to travel, body fluids, fumes, odors, dusts, gases, poor ventilation, workspace restrictions, and intense noise. Employees may be required to exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Core Values/Professional Qualities
Excellence: We endeavor to excel in every aspect of this organization and approach every challenge with a determination to succeed.
Equity: We are committed to making educational opportunities available and accessible to all stakeholders by fostering a climate of fairness and impartiality.
Collaboration: We have established an environment where teamwork and collaboration are integral to attaining exceptional results.
Integrity: We act with honesty and integrity by adhering to the highest ethical standards as we strive to achieve success.
Efficiency: We continually demonstrate our ability to produce the very best by carefully and effectively using all available resources.