CHANDLER UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 80
JOB TITLE: Elementary School Counselor
REPORTS TO: ADMINISTRATOR
CALENDAR: TEACHER CALENDAR
RANGE: TEACHER SALARY SCHEDULE
To promote student success, provide preventative services and respond to identified student needs by implementing a comprehensive school-based counseling program that addresses academic and positive personal/social development of students.
- Master’s Degree in Education related field
- AZ Counselor Certificate
- AZ IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card
- Three years exemplary teaching experience, preferred
- Demonstrated leadership skills
Core Job Functions
- Provide individual and group counseling to meet the developmental, preventive, and remedial needs of students
- Assist all students, individually or in groups, in developing academic and personal/social skills, goals and plans
- Use appropriate counseling processes and techniques for individual and group counseling sessions
- Follow up individual and group counseling to monitor student progress
- Use appropriate assessment and diagnostic procedures for determining and structuring individual and group counseling services
- Provide and support prevention programs including violence prevention, conflict resolution, anti-bullying strategies, peer mediation, and character education
- Measure results of the comprehensive school counseling program and activities and share results with relevant stakeholders
- Assist administrator with investigating and assigning consequences for conduct referrals, incident reports and disruptive behavior
- Monitor student academic performance, behavior, and attendance and assists with appropriate interventions
- Consult and collaborate effectively with parent/guardians regarding students identified concerns and needs
- Serve as a liaison between school personnel and home for children with special circumstances and/or needs
- Maintain records of counseling and protect the confidentiality of student records and student information
- Accurately and appropriately interpret and utilize student data for shared decision making
- Implement an effective referral and follow up process as needed
- Monitor and case manage progress for targeted students
- Participate on assessment teams and analyze data for decision making
- Develop and coordinate 504 plans for identified students
- Review Individualized Education Plans and ensure mandated timeframes for collaboration are followed
- Utilize district data systems to collect and analyze data relative to attendance, behavior and achievement
- Use available technology resources to enhance the school counseling program
- Assist staff with strategies and methodologies to determine how to best meet the academic, social, emotional and developmentally appropriate needs of students
- Collaborate, consult, and coordinate with community agencies and provide referrals on behalf of students and families
- Serve on the Crisis Team and provide crisis management and intervention, when needed
- Perform staff development and parent education and training as it relates to the school counseling program
- Participate on Mandatory Reporting Team
- Coordinate State Testing for the site and serve as a liaison between the teachers, administration and district assessment coordinator
- Attend extra curricular school events to build relationships with students, parents, and community at large
- Participate in professional development activities to improve knowledge, skills and support site-based training
- Adhere to laws, policies, procedures and ethical standards of the school counseling profession
- Perform all other duties or serve on district and site based committees as assigned by administrator
Core Values/Professional Qualities
Excellence: We endeavor to excel in every aspect of this organization and approach every challenge with a determination to succeed.
Equity: We are committed to making educational opportunities available and accessible to all stakeholders by fostering a climate of fairness and impartiality.
Collaboration: We have established an environment where teamwork and collaboration are integral to attaining exceptional results.
Integrity: We act with honesty and integrity by adhering to the highest ethical standards as we strive to achieve success.
Efficiency: We continually demonstrate our ability to produce the very best by carefully and effectively using all available resources.