Urbana School District #116
TITLE: School Crossing Guard
LOCATION: Serving King Elementary School at the intersection of Fairview & Lincoln
SUPERVISOR: Building School Principal and/or Designee
- Must be eighteen (18) years of age or older
- Must be able to successfully pass a background check
JOB SUMMARY: The primary responsibility of the School Crossing Guard is the safety of school children crossing the streets and intersections to and from school. In order to do this successfully, he/she must stop and direct all traffic at the school crossing and direct students when it is safe to cross. The School Crossing Guard must report to his/her assigned post on time each morning and afternoon that school sessions begin/end and remain on duty until all students cross safely. This is a seasonal position held only when the students are in session for the main school year.
- Maintains the safety of all students and pedestrians by controlling the flow of traffic for the crossing of pedestrians at his/her assigned crosswalk.
- Maintains a positive working relationship with the Urbana School District.
- Maintains the appearance and serviceability of all issued equipment.
- Occasionally attends in-service training as required.
- Must be willing to work in all types of weather.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be able to recognize potential hazards to individuals utilizing the crosswalks.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with children, other pedestrians and Urbana School District personnel.
- Ability to deal effectively and courteously with people of all ages.
- Must have adequate sight and hearing (with or without reasonable accommodations) to protect children from potential traffic hazards.
- Ability to walk and perform school crossing duties in all weather and traffic conditions.
- Works outside exposed to weather in climatic conditions associated with outside work.
- Works in moderately noisy conditions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Works in close proximity to gas fumes from passing vehicles.
- Works on slippery, uneven surfaces.
- Works in and around moving objects and vehicles.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- On duty from 7:45 AM - 8:15 AM and 2:50 PM - 3:20 PM at specified crosswalk location
- Paid for two (2) hours per day at the rate of $11.80/hour
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on evaluation of personnel.
START DATE: ASAP
NOTE: This is not a position within the collective bargaining unit and is not an administrative position.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
REVISED: July 2016