Department: Assigned Campus
Reports: Principal, Supervising Teacher, special Education Director
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Pay Grade: 3
No of Days: 185
To assist the classroom teacher in the care and instruction of the students in the classroom.
- Follow the directions of the supervisor
- Preparing materials and displays as directed
- Demonstrating acceptable written and verbal skills
- Working in a cooperative manner with both teacher and students
- Assisting the teacher in maintaining student discipline
- Assisting the teacher in assuming responsibility for the care and safety of students
- Assisting the teacher in assuming responsibility for the care of equipment and teaching materials
- Changing diapers for students
- Toileting students
- Feeding or assisting with feeding students
- Assisting with lifting students
- Assisting students with other self help skills
- Blending foods
- Cooking foods
- Assisting with loading and unloading students
- All other duties as assigned by the supervisor
- High school diploma or GED
- The ability to attend staff development trainings as required by the District
- The ability to work with all students
- Good people skills
- Possess, or be willing to apply for, a TEA Paraprofessional Certificate (personal expense)
- Ability to work well with children
NOTE: A teacher assistant in special education is subject to reassignment during the year because of student population shifts.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Heavy lifting (45 lbs. or over)
- Repeated bending
- Regular attendance required.
- Audio visual equipment
- In some cases: wheel chairs, lifts, crutches, blender, stove and medical equipment
The environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Indoors and Outdoors
- Works around machinery with moving parts
- Classroom environment
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive description of all work requirements and responsibilities. Additionally, the minimum level of education noted as a requirement could be supplemented by commensurate experience and/or certification(s) as determined by the hiring manager.