EARLY CHILDHOOD TEACHING ASSISTANT (IMMEDIATE HIRE)
Syracuse City School District
- Job ID: 2873729
- Application Deadline:
December 25, 2099
December 7, 2017
- Starting Date:
December 7, 2017
Classroom Teacher > Early Childhood
ABOUT OUR DISTRICT
The Syracuse City School District is undergoing a new phase of innovation and transformation with the goal of ensuring that all students graduate high school with the skills needed to be ready for college and career. For Syracuse, all means all – including students who fall behind or have been considered “hard to serve” for a host of reasons. The School Board and Syracuse community have charged Superintendent Jaime Alicea with improving student achievement, and he is seeking a dedicated team of school leaders and teachers to partner with him in moving the district toward its goals. The Syracuse City School District represents 34 schools and 4 alternative education programs, serving 21,000+ students Pre-K-12 of whom 80% qualify for free or reduced price lunch, 19% are served by the Office of Special Education and 77% are students of color.
The Department of Early Childhood is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Teaching Assistant. Teaching Assistants provide instructional services to students under the general supervision of a licensed or certified teacher.
This position will work with Early Childhood classes serving 3-year-old and 4-year-old students.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Work with individual pupils or groups of pupils on special instructional projects
- Provide the teacher with information about pupils which will assist the teacher in the development of appropriate learning and behavioral experiences
- Assist pupils in the use of available instructional resources, and assisting in the development of instructional materials
- Utilize their own special skills and abilities by assisting in instructional programs in such areas as: foreign languages, arts, crafts, music and similar subjects
- Assist in related instructional work as required
- Assist students with specific health related activities as appropriate
- When working in a Special Education classroom, employees may be required to perform the following tasks:
- Toileting needs
- Feeding needs
- Llifting students when needed
- Pushing students in assistive devices (e.g. wheelchairs)
- Candidates must possess a New York State Level I, Level II, Level III, Pre-Professional, or Continuing Teaching Assistant Certificate. New York State Teacher Certification is also acceptable.
Previous experience working in Early Childhood is preferred.
- City Residents are encouraged to apply!
- The current new hire salary for SCSD Teaching Assistants is $20,464 annually per the Unit 8 contractual agreement.
Instructional Support > Individual Aide
Instructional Support > Paraprofessional / IA
Equal Opportunity Employer
Syracuse City School District is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.
The content you submit, offer, contribute, attach, post, or display (each a “Submission”) will viewed by other users of the service who may or may not be accurately representing who they are or who they represent. Do not include any sensitive data in your submissions. Any submission or any use or reliance on any content or materials posted via the service or obtained by you through the use of the service is at your own risk. “Sensitive data” for purposes of this section means social security or other government-issued identification numbers, medical or health information, account security information, individual financial account information, credit/debit/gift or other payment card information, account passwords, individual credit and income information or any other sensitive personal data as defined under applicable laws.