THIS POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED
North Wasco County School District is pleased to announce that we are seeking qualified applicants for the position of Bus Driver.
We are very proud of our District and the teachers, administrators, and support staff that provides the best education possible for the children of our community. Thank you for seeking this opportunity to be part of our team.
Built upon the hills of the Columbia Gorge, The Dalles terrain is a combination of forests, orchards, and high desert, offering great outdoor recreation and areas rich in history and resources. Our downtown area is a Registered Historic District featuring architecture from the late 1800s and the early 1900s.
District Mission: “Graduating all students to be college and career ready; challenging, inspiring, and empowering them to be healthy and productive citizens.”
NWASCO Online: www.nwasco.k12.or.us
Application Process: All application materials must be submitted electronically, as part of your TalentEd/Recruit & Hire application. Include the following supplemental documents:
- Complete District Application
- Letter of interest;
- Current Resume;
- Two (2) recent letters of reference
Hours: 3.00 to 6.50 hrs. (Depends on Day and Route) with Health Benefits
Job Purpose Statement/s: The position of bus driver operates school buses and/or other District vehicles to transport students to and from school and related activities in a safe, timely, and economical manner.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of laws, rules and regulations governing school transportation.
- Knowledge of safe driving techniques and motor vehicle laws.
- Knowledge of the basic operation of a school bus.
- Knowledge of proper procedures to follow in case of an emergency.
- Knowledge of communication and behavior management techniques to effectively interact with students.
- Ability to possess and maintain a valid Oregon Driver's License and maintains an insurable status for automobile liability coverage.
- Ability to possess and maintain a driving record that conforms to the requirements of the State Department of Education for the issue of a School Bus Driver’s Certificate.
- Ability to successfully complete classroom and on-the, road vehicle operation training and defensive driving training.
- Ability to successfully complete first aid training.
Education/Experience: Any combination of education, training, and experience which demonstrates ability to perform the duties and responsibilities as described within this job description
Language Skills: It is essential to read and interpret documents written in English such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. It is essential to speak English effectively to individuals or small groups, and to write simple correspondence or memos.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
Reading Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Certificates and Licenses:
- Must have a current Oregon/Washington driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record.
- Possess and maintain an appropriate and valid Oregon Class C Commercial Driver's License issued by the State Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Ability to perform the physical requirements of the position, as certified by a physician.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following (Other duties may be assigned)
- Operates the vehicle in accordance with Oregon Revised Statutes, Department of Motor Vehicle Code, School Bus Driver's Manual, and District policies and procedures.
- Adheres to prescribed route, including time schedules and designated student pick-up and drop-off locations.
- Delivers assigned vehicle for regular maintenance and service work as per arranged schedule.
- Reports immediately any mechanical trouble, tire problems, inoperable safety equipment, or other questionable items to his/her immediate supervisor and /or bus mechanic.
- Accepts responsibility for transporting authorized students safely under all types of conditions.
- Conducts a pre-trip inspection of the vehicle and reports any deficiencies in equipment to the proper authority immediately.
- Maintains the assigned vehicle by cleaning items, such as the windshield (inside and outside), light lenses, floors and seats.
- Reports any problems or safety hazards which exist or occur on routing, such as traffic, stops, physical obstacles, and students (both on and off the bus).
- Maintains a safe and orderly atmosphere on the bus at all times by enforcing compliance with District policies through persuasion, verbal warnings, and/or completing discipline slips.
- Participates in meetings with school administrators to resolve student discipline problems.
- Completes daily maintenance checklist, including recording fuel, oil, and mileage readings, fueling the bus, and adding oil and water, as appropriate.
- Displays good judgment and discretion in operating a vehicle in all weather and traffic conditions.
- Greets students in a pleasant and friendly manner as they arrive and depart the vehicle.
- Maintains a neat, clean and courteous presence while on duty.
- Transports students, teachers and other authorized persons on special trips and activity trips in or outside of the District.
- Participates in periodic in-service training.
- Provides assistance to students with special transportation needs.
- Assists in training other drivers.
- Maintains a positive and effective working relationship with staff and students.