7.5 hours per day/On-going
All candidates who wish to be considered for this position must have High school diploma or equivalent, AND successful completion of the Educational Testing Service (ETS) ParaPro Assessment, OR 72 quarter or 48 semester credits at an institution of higher education (official transcript is required), OR an Associate’s (or higher) degree (official transcript is required.) and submit the online employment application. Current school district employees are required to complete the internal online application process.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
Under the direction of a speech language pathologist, this position will assist students to achieve defined individual educational objectives during therapy and/or classroom activities. Depending upon individual school needs, the position may perform any or all of the following duties.
- Assists in planning and implementing day-to-day speech/language therapy activities for students, sets up equipment for student assignments individually or in small groups, serves an as appropriate speech and language model.
- Assists in screening students for potential communication remediation needs.
- Assists speech language pathologist in planning and adapting appropriate materials and intervention activities.
- Evaluates and reports on students’ day-to-day progress; gathers information from students, parents, and staff; maintains continuous communication with speech language pathologist regarding student progress and program effectiveness.
- Participates in parent conferences as required; attends departmental, building, and IEP meetings; assists speech language pathologist with IEP process within parameters allowed by law.
- Provides speech/language activities for students at single or multiple sites, as assigned; travels between schools for therapy sessions; plans travel times; informs building staff of therapy schedule.
- Prepares and maintains speech/language therapy files; completes and files required forms.
- May be required to learn a specific skill or acquire training as required for working in a particular special education program.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- B.A. in Speech Therapy or equivalent experience in Speech Therapy.
- SLPA Washington State License required.
- Knowledge of correct grammar, spelling and English usage.
- General knowledge of office practices, procedures, and equipment.
- Ability to understand and execute verbal and written instructions, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to handle students with behavioral and physical handicapping conditions.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, parents, staff, and the general public.
- Ability to realize performance limitations and an awareness of when it would be appropriate to seek help from the supervising speech-language pathologist.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and be flexible to meet deadlines.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Aberdeen School District complies with all federal rules and regulations and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation including gender expression or identity, creed, religion, age, veteran or military status, the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability, or the use of trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts of America and other designated youth groups. Inquiries regarding compliance procedures may be directed to Jim Sawin, Title IX Officer (360) 538-2222 and Roger Heinrich, Section 504/ADA Coordinator (360) 538-2018. Aberdeen School District No. 5, 216 North G Street, Aberdeen, Washington 98520.