Screening of applications will begin on January 2, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled.
Title: Paraprofessional- Title 1 Aide
Reports to: Principal and Curriculum Director
Building: As Assigned
Status: Full time, Monday through Friday
School days only
10 month/school year position
Salary: $12.85 - $14.04 per hour
Union: Association of Belgrade Classified (ABC)
Essential Job Duties
- Assists teacher with development of a variety of instructional materials.
- Assists in presentation of learning activities and instructional exercises.
- Instructs students in small groups to address identified deficits in reading and/or math.
- Monitors and assists students through drills, practice, and study activities.
- Supervises student(s) when the Title 1 or regular education teacher leaves the classroom.
- Supervises students in the classroom, on the playground, and in bus duty, as directed.
- Assists in management and shaping of student behavior through use of positive behavior supports.
- Assists in maintaining a variety of reports and records.
- Provides input to the Title 1 Teacher and Classroom Teacher regarding student achievement.
- Performs general clerical duties for instructional personnel.
- Assists in administering assessments and probes tests and records scores as directed.
- Serves as a resource person when requested to attend intervention meetings or parent/teacher conference about one of the assigned students.
- Meets regularly with the Title 1 teacher and classroom teacher to cooperatively diagnose strengths and weaknesses, plan instruction strategies and monitor student progress.
- Assists in maintaining neat, orderly, and attractive learning environment.
Knowledge Skills Abilities
- Knowledge of general concepts of child growth, development, and behavior characteristics in children.
- Possesses mathematical thinking skills and ability to teach abstract concepts.
- Possesses strong reading and phonics skills.
- Learn and utilize standard teaching programs and office machines.
- Learn and utilize basic methods and procedures to be followed in instructional settings.
- Demonstrate understanding, patient, warm, and receptive attitude toward children.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions in an effective manner.
- Maintain cooperative working relationships with students, staff, parents, and general public.
- Ability to administer academic screenings or assessments according to protocol.
- Ability to handle stressful situations.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of employment and student matters.
- Ability to effectively manage time and responsibilities.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from students, parents, and staff.
- Completion of at least two years of study at an institute of Higher Education.
- Demonstrates through a formal state or local academic assessment the knowledge of and ability to assist in the instruction of reading and math;
- Successful experience working with children/students.
- Associate degree or Bachelor’s degree in education-related field.
- One year paid or volunteer experience working with children in educational or child-care setting.
- Successful experience teaching reading or math to children/students.
Computer, calculator, copier, telephone/voice mail.
Physical and Mental Demands and Work Hazards
- Regularly works inside but may be assigned to outside activities.
- Ability to meet deadlines with severe time constraints.
- Directly responsible for the safety, well-being, and work output of students.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, depending on the nature of the assigned course. Frequently required to sit; occasionally walk and stand.
- Required to sit, walk, and stand; twist at neck, bend at waist; kneel; reach.
- Required to be able to hear conversations in busy environments.
- May be required to lift or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Exercises flexibility (ability to shift from one task to another).
- Guidance and reinforcement are sometimes infrequently available.
- Works within time constraints and maintains attentive intensity.
- Involved in social interactions which require oral and written communications.
- Demonstrates regular attendance performing duties as described.
- Reports to work fit for duty with characteristics inherent to the position.
The duties, physical demands, work-environment characteristics, and mental/motor demands described within this vacancy announcement are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job with compliance with the American with Disabilities Act Amendment Act (ADAAA) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.