DIRECTOR OF SCHOOL SUPPORT CALIFORNIA (GREATER LOS ANGELES)
Achievement Network (ANet) (learn more)
Los Angeles, United State (map)
Enter your email to receive job alerts when new jobs like this one are posted.
Director of School Support –California (Greater Los Angeles)
Location: Greater Los Angeles Area
Position is available: Immediately
WHO WE ARE
Achievement Network (ANet) is a nonprofit dedicated to educational equity. We help schools boost student learning with great teaching that's grounded in standards, informed by data, and built on the successful practices of educators around the country. Founded in 2005, ANet now serves over 700 schools educating over 230,000 students across the country. Our support has consistently helped our partner schools—both district and charter—achieve breakthrough results for their students.
ANet has received multiple awards and recognitions, most recently receiving the highest ratings (Tier 1) on our math and ELA formative assessments from the Louisiana Department of Education, the only organization to receive such high marks. We were also named to The NonProfit Time's “Best Nonprofits to Work For” and in the 2018-19 school year will be launching the Breakthrough Results Fund (https://www.achievementnetwork.org/breakthrough-fund/?rq=breakthrough), a four-year collaboration to prove what's possible in instructional improvement.
ANet is a dynamic, values driven, team-oriented organization that is committed to the growth and development of all staff members. Individuals who join ANet have the opportunity to join an exceptional team of colleagues committed to helping schools drive excellent teaching and learning by investing in each other and learning together.
As a Director of School Support (DSS), your coaching of school and system leaders will empower them to enact change that sets teachers up for success in the classroom, thus ensuring students receive the educational opportunities they deserve. You will leverage your past experience as an instructional leader to quickly build trust within your partner schools, identify strengths and opportunities, and develop action plans that lead to breakthrough results for kids. You'll be successful in influencing and motivating our partners because you thrive at marrying humility and assertiveness in everything you do. Your flexibility, team first approach, and commitment to equity will be infectious to everyone you interact with, whether it's a CAO of a school system, a principal of one of your partner schools, or another DSS on your team.
In 2016, ANet launched operations in the West with schools in the Bay area and in 2017, the region expanded its reach to serving schools across the state of Nevada. Currently the team partners with over 50 district and charter schools throughout West, including key system partnerships in Nevada (Clark County, Humboldt County, and Nye County) and within Los Angeles, CA.
The Director of School Support will report directly to the Vice President, West Region and will work closely with the California and Nevada Network teams while also collaborating regularly with ANet national teams and peer coaches in other regions.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
Partner with and coach school leaders to strengthen instruction and increase student achievement
• Serve as an instructional leadership coach for school leaders, inspiring and motivating teams, supporting school-wide change management, and building expertise in standards-based and data-driven instruction and teacher development
• Develop school leaders and teachers on effective use of real-time data from the ANet interim assessments to target student misunderstandings, to improve teacher practice, and to continually deepen understanding of the rigor of the Common Core standards
• Train and coach school leaders and teachers on effective backwards planning using state standards, complex texts, and curricula to achieve student mastery of grade-level content
• Analyze student data and use research-based practices to inform an individualized strategy for coaching each school
• Serve as a leadership coach for school leaders, partnering with them to overcome barriers to successful data-driven instruction and increased student achievement, including how to develop and leverage school-wide practices and structures to build a culture of achievement that accelerates student impact
• Engage in a gradual release of support to build some schools' independence with teacher development, first by modeling meeting facilitation, then observing and providing coaching and feedback to leaders on their facilitation
Support literacy, math, and leadership professional development
• In partnership with internal teams, customize core sessions to meet partner needs for professional learning
• Traveling to provide in person facilitation support for professional learning events alongside other members of the regional team (up to 20%)
Develop a strong network of ANet schools
• Connect school leaders with other schools to facilitate best practice sharing
• Design and lead professional development sessions for groups of school leaders and teachers
• Support the regional leadership in growing the Network by sustaining current school partners and fostering new partnerships
Support internal ANet strength and growth
• Develop tools, coaching strategies, and innovative ideas for the organization that improve our ability to coach schools
• Serve in internal ANet leadership roles, which could include recruiting and hiring, network event coordination, sales, professional development planning and facilitation, and strategy development
WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU BRING
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
• You are energized by roles where no day will be the same, but where instructional excellence is at the heart of everything you do. You know how to get breakthrough results for kids because you have a proven track record of using standards and data to drive instruction.
• You have a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels. You believe in the power of formative assessment, coaching, and professional development as critical levers in school improvement.
• You bring prior experience managing or coaching other adults (e.g. school leadership, instructional coaching, etc.) and know how to develop and motivate others to drive results, while balancing humility and assertiveness. You thrive off building strong relationships, especially when it comes to building trust and credibility quickly.
• You are a learner. You don't shy away from new or ambiguous situations, but rather dive right in and seek out opportunities to continuously improve your skills and expand your impact on kids, while learning from those around you.
• You draw others in. Your ability to read and respond to unspoken and implicit cues, and your engaging presentation skills leave others energized and wanting to know more.
• You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily. You are eager to examine personal archetypes and biases while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to ANet's Advance Equity and People Matter values.
• You are excited to partner with schools and systems across the Region and within your portfolio and are therefore willing to travel and have access to a vehicle (mileage will be reimbursed) and/or public transportation in order to do so.
Ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
• You bring familiarity implementing the Common Core instructional shifts, as teacher and/or as an instructional coach, specifically in math and/or ELA
• You have prior experience coaching teams, leading professional development, and/or managing programs at a district/CMO-level
• You bring prior experience working within, and/or knowledge of, the education landscape within California
WHAT WE OFFER
ANet offers highly competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; 3 weeks of vacation (4 weeks after two years with ANet); 10 paid holidays with paid days off between the Christmas and New Year's holidays; a paid floating holiday; paid sick & personal days; paid parental leave; retirement plan options; commuter benefits; tuition reimbursement; flexible spending accounts; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
HOW TO APPLY
We are now accepting applications for this position, which will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please click on the blue “Apply” button. You will then be prompted to complete a brief application and upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter in which you outline why you are interested in working for ANet and how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/j392vwkmd547d6tt
Administrator > Assistant/Deputy Superintendent
Administrator > Curriculum
Administrator > Principal/Dean/Head of School
Administrator > Superintendent
Equal Opportunity Employer
Achievement Network (ANet) is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.
The content you submit, offer, contribute, attach, post, or display (each a “Submission”) will viewed by other users of the service who may or may not be accurately representing who they are or who they represent. Do not include any sensitive data in your submissions. Any submission or any use or reliance on any content or materials posted via the service or obtained by you through the use of the service is at your own risk. “Sensitive data” for purposes of this section means social security or other government-issued identification numbers, medical or health information, account security information, individual financial account information, credit/debit/gift or other payment card information, account passwords, individual credit and income information or any other sensitive personal data as defined under applicable laws.